Mr. Smarty Plants - Obtaining a list of Texas native plants

Wednesday - February 16, 2005

From: New Braunfels, TX
Topic: User Comments
Title: Obtaining a list of Texas native plants

QUESTION:

I'm a member of the Lindheimer Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas (New Braunfels area) and wanted to get a list of Texas Native Plants for our Chapter to use as our guideline of what is native and what is not. Your native plant database is wonderful for this purpose but I couldn't figure out how to get a printout of everything on it. Can you please tell me how to print a list from your website or tell me how to get your list of Texas native plants?

ANSWER:

On the Wildflower Center web page choose Explore Plants from the side bar and then choose Clearinghouse Publications. On the Clearinghouse Publications page you can choose Regional Factpacks. There you can find "Native Plant Species Lists" for each of the eight US geographic regions. You can download a PDF file for the Southwest Region (or any of the other seven regions) that gives you the botanical names, the common names, the native range (by state) and comments about plant size, bloom color and period, habitat and special features.