Mr. Smarty Plants - Pruning time of non-native oleander

Friday - February 11, 2005

From: San Marcos, TX
Title: Pruning time of non-native oleander

QUESTION:

When and how should I trim oleanders that turned brown after our first freeze?

ANSWER:

The oleander (Nerium oleander) is a native of northern Africa, the eastern Mediterranean and southeast Asia. It was introduced into the U. S. in the 1800s and now can be found in cultivation and naturalized over the southeastern states, Texas, California, and Utah.

Late winter to early spring is a good time to prune oleanders. Oleanders are very hardy and can withstand a great deal of pruning. You should trim the branches right above a leaf node. This will encourage the plant to do more branching. The International Oleander Society has more instructions on how to prune your oleander.