Friday - February 11, 2005

From: San Marcos, TX
Topic: Pruning, Trees
Title: Pruning a Wafer Ash to make it upright
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

How do I trim a Wafer Ash? It lays on the ground. Is that normal? Does it need to be upright?

ANSWER:

it is not uncommon for a wafer ash (Ptelea trifoliata) to droop. It is perfectly fine for it to grow along the ground if you like it that way. However, if you don't want it to do this, it is possible to shape it. It may take considerable pruning and patience to achieve a more upright tree depending on the size of the tree and the severity of the problem.

You can see some hints for pruning the wafer ash from the University of Wisconsin-Madison Horticulture Department.

Wafer ash
Ptelea trifoliata

Wafer ash
Ptelea trifoliata

Wafer ash
Ptelea trifoliata