Mr. Smarty Plants - Information about non-native Canaga odorata, ylang-ylang

Thursday - July 10, 2008

From: Phoenix, AZ
Title: Information about non-native Canaga odorata, ylang-ylang

QUESTION:

can you tell me the composition of canaga odarata or ylang-ylang flower? also, beneficial effects? it's for my science project..

ANSWER:

First of all, Canaga odorata (ylang-ylang) is native to tropical Asia and northern Australia. Our focus and expertise here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America so we don't really have any information for you. Secondly, I am not absolutely sure what you mean by its "composition" unless you are referring to what chemicals are included in its oils that are considered therapeutic. There seems to be a lot of information about its oil and beneficial uses on the internet. I suggest you "Google" the scientific name (Canaga odorata) and search through the resulting citations for an answer to your questions.