Mr. Smarty Plants - Growing Plumeria in Ohio

Tuesday - July 15, 2008

From: Canal Winchester, OH
Topic: Non-Natives, Container Gardens, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Growing Plumeria in Ohio

QUESTION:

Can I grow plumeria in Ohio? We were in Hawaii this past week and I brought two plants home to try to grow. Thanks a bunch.

ANSWER:

Plumerias are native to the Caribbean and Central and tropical South America. They aren't native to North America or even to Hawaii. They are quite beautiful but they aren't going to grow outdoors in Ohio. According to Floridata, Plumeria spp. are hardy in USDA Zones 9-11. Ohio is mostly in Zones 5 and 6. You can probably be successful growing them as house plants that you can move outside in the spring and summer and bring inside in the winter. Check the web pages of the Plumeria Society of America and the Virtual International Plumeria Society more information and instructions on care.