Thursday - January 27, 2005

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Locating wildflowers for school project in March

I have been assigned a school project to collect 10 wildflowers by March. I don't see any around to collect this time of year. Do you know where I could find some? I live in San Antonio.

There are a few wildflowers blooming now, but very soon there will be a lot more. Some of the ones that are currently blooming are very small like the straggler daisy. Some are larger such as the dandelion. February will bring more--a lot more. For instance, winecups, golden-eye phlox, greenthread and prairie verbena all begin blooming in February. Even the bluebonnet sometimes begin blooming by the end of February.

Good places to look for wildflowers are in city parks, along hiking trails, and in old cemeteries.