Mr. Smarty Plants - Will horseherb (Calyptocarpus vialis) survive planting in July

Monday - July 14, 2008

Title: Will horseherb (Calyptocarpus vialis) survive planting in July

QUESTION:

I live in Southwest Austin and I am planting horseherb groundcover in my back yard that is part-shade. Can I plant this right now (July) or is it too hot to plant?

ANSWER:

You're certainly right that it is very hot and very dry in Austin right now. All in all, it would be better to plant Calyptocarpus vialis (straggler daisy) in the spring or fall, but it should make it now if you give it water until it is well established.