Mr. Smarty Plants - Grasses and flowering plants for Dallas

Wednesday - July 02, 2008

From: Dallas, TX
Title: Grasses and flowering plants for Dallas

QUESTION:

I have an area of morning sun next to my house about ten feet deep. I would like to mix a fairly tall grass with two other plants, flowering. What are some of your suggestions?

ANSWER:

In order to find some suggestions to make, we went to Recommended Species, clicked on North Central Texas on the map, and then narrowed our search by clicking on first grasses and then herbs (herbaceous perennials) for habit, perennial for duration and part sun (2 to 6 hours a day of sun). The flowers we chose are tall and sturdy so they can show up with the grasses, but of course, you can use the same methods to find others you like better. Be sure and read all the page links to the various plants in our Native Plant Database so you will know when and how they should be planted. To find native plant suppliers, go to Suppliers, type your town and name in the Enter Search Location box, and you will get the names, addresses, etc. of nurseries, seed companies and landscape professionals in your general area.

GRASSES

Andropogon gerardii (big bluestem) - 4 to 8 ft. tall

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama) - 2 to 3 ft. tall

Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass) - 3 to 8 ft. tall

Chasmanthium latifolium (Inland sea oats) - 2 to 4 ft. tall

HERBACEOUS PERENNIALS

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower) - 2 to 5 ft. tall

Asclepias tuberosa (butterfly milkweed) - 1 to 2 ft. tall

Lobelia cardinalis (cardinalflower) - 1 to 6 ft. tall

Wedelia texana (hairy wedelia) - 1 to 3 ft. tall

Andropogon gerardii

Bouteloua curtipendula

Sorghastrum nutans

Echinacea purpurea

Lobelia cardinalis

Wedelia texana