Tuesday - July 01, 2008

From: Homer City, PA
Title: How can I propagate Magnolia trees? Airlayeringg, semi-hardwood cuttings, and seeds.

QUESTION:

Hi. My grandmother recently passed away. One of her most prized possessions was her magnolia tree. She absolutely loved that tree. I, along with other members of the family each want to take a piece from the tree to start our own tree and would like to know how to do it. My cousin took a few branches and planted them in the ground but they seem to be dying. Can you give me any suggestions or direction how to go about this? Thanks

ANSWER:

Admiration of Magnolia trees seems to have a long tradition. This previously asked question describes the story of another cherished Magnolia.

Magnolias may be propagated by a process termed airlayering. In brief, you wound a stem of the plant by girdling, and induce the stem to produce roots at the wound site with the help of rooting hormone and moist sphagnum moss. When the new roots have formed, cut the stem below the roots, and place the rooted stem in a pot with potting soil. Once the plant is established, plant your new Magnolia tree in an appropriate spot in your yard. There are numerous web sites that describe this process, and I'm offering one that has good illustrations with easy to follow instructions.

The article above gives a list of materials to which I would add paitence; don't try to rush the process. In my experience, two months is the minimum time for the roots to form.

Two other means of propagation are semi-hardwood cuttings ( it sounds like your cousin may have been attempting this), and planting seeds.

Southern magnolia
Magnolia grandiflora

Southern magnolia
Magnolia grandiflora

Southern magnolia
Magnolia grandiflora