Tuesday - July 01, 2008

From: Opelousas, LA
Title: Source for purchase of native Parkinsonia aculeata

QUESTION:

I would like to buy a Jerusalem Thorn Tree plant. I will purchase seeds if plant is not available. Can you tell me where I can purchase either?

ANSWER:

Parkinsonia aculeata (Jerusalem thorn) is a native of North America and of Louisiana and Texas. Although we always think of it as more of a desert plant, this USDA Plant Profile for it shows that the Jerusalem thorn grows over most parts of Louisiana. St. Landry Parish appears to be in the area where the tree occurs most often, and also is far enough south that frost should not be a problem for it. This website from Floridata on Parkinsonia aculeata can fill you in on other particulars of growing the plant.

To locate retail sites for purchasing the Jerusalem Thorn, go to our National Suppliers Directory, which lists companies selling native plants and seeds, as well as landscape consultants. In the Enter Search Location Box, put your town name and state, and you will get a list of businesses, either store sales or mail order, in your general area. They have websites, phone numbers, even directions to their location, so you can contact them for availability. If you have no luck there, try Native American Seed in Fredericksburg, TX. They specialize in seeds for Texas and the Southwest and do mail order. Since the plant you are interested in is also a native of Texas, they may have it in stock.

Parkinsonia aculeata