Friday - July 04, 2008

From: Oswego, IL
Title: Trees for creek side in Illinois

QUESTION:

I have a creek that runs along my back yard, and was wondering if you could give me some suggestions on water loving trees to grow next to it. The creek gets sun all day and is located in zone 5. (some other than the willows)

ANSWER:

Below are some suggestions for trees (no wilows) that will do well alongside a stream and are hardy in zone 5:

Alnus incana ssp. rugosa (speckled alder) is a shrub/tree of streambanks. Here are photos and more information.

Amelanchier laevis (Allegheny serviceberry) likes to grow in wet places. Here is more information.

Betula nigra (river birch) grows on stream banks. Here is more information.

Morus rubra (red mulberry) grows on stream and river banks. More information.

Platanus occidentalis (American sycamore) is a large tree that grows in flood plains and bottomlands. More information.

Populus deltoides (eastern cottonwood) is another large tree that grows in much the same habitat as the sycamore. More information.

Populus tremuloides (quaking aspen) grows on stream banks and moist disturbed areas. More information.

Amelanchier laevis

Betula nigra

Morus rubra

Platanus occidentalis

Populus deltoides

Populus tremuloides