Thursday - July 03, 2008

From: Williamstown, NJ
Topic: Drought Tolerant
Title: Drought tolerant plants for NJ backyard

QUESTION:

I am in the process of planning a drought tolerant, sun loving Back yard. I do have a dog, a swimming pool and lots of grandchildren. Do you have any suggestions for plants and shrubs? I live in Southern NJ. My yard is almost all full sun morning to night.

ANSWER:

You can see a list of New Jersey Recommended Species that are commercially available and suitable for landscaping and read about their moisture requirements. You can also do a Combination Search in our Native Plant Database for plants native to New Jersey that would meet your criteria by choosing 'New Jersey' from Select State or Province and then 'Sun' from Light requirement and 'Dry' from Soil moisture. You can also select other criteria as search options. Here are a few (all of which should be safe for children and dogs) that I selected from those lists:

Campsis radicans (trumpet creeper) a vine with attractive red flowers that is fairly drought tolerant.

Gaylussacia baccata (black huckleberry) requires little water, but will tolerate dry, moist or wet soils.

Rhus copallinum (winged sumac) has beautiful fall foliage.

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick) is a low, trailing evergreen plant that uses little water.

Carex pensylvanica (Pennsylvania sedge) is grass-like grows in dry to moist soils.

Monarda punctata (spotted beebalm) is very drought tolerant.

Physocarpus opulifolius (common ninebark) is a fast-growing, drought-tolerant shrub.

Portulaca pilosa (kiss me quick) uses little water and is low-growing.

Campsis radicans

Gaylussacia baccata

Rhus copallinum

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Carex pensylvanica

Monarda punctata

Physocarpus opulifolius

Portulaca pilosa