Wednesday - June 25, 2008

From: Keysville, VA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Identification of woodland plant in a rual area ? we have bears britches and another plant simaler, but the leaves are flat and smooth, each leaf is on a seperate stalk and each plant has 3 stalks. they may get a bit of the late evening sun but mostly in shade. i haven't seen any blooms or buds to date. any idea what this may be ? I have taken pictures but don't see where to attach them. thanks.

ANSWER:

First of all, Mr. SP had to figure out what in the world bear britches are! It turns out that this appears to be Acanthus spinosus (spine acanthus) which is not native to North America. At any rate, I am afraid we don't have any idea what your plant is just from the description; however, we will be very happy to try to identify your plant if you will send us photos. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page to find instructions on submitting photos under "Plant Identification".