Monday - June 23, 2008

From: St. Charles, MO
Title: Looking for pink star grass (Rhodohypoxis milloides)

QUESTION:

I am looking for a wildflower/plant called Pink Star Grass (common name). I am not sure what the proper name is. Can you help me with this? I would like information on it, and also would like to purchase it. Thank you.

ANSWER:

The botanical name for pink star grass is Rhodohypoxis milloides. It is, apparently, a native of South Africa, not North America. It is a member of the Family Hypoxidaceae, a small family closely related to the Family Liliaceae (lily family) and Family Iridaceae (iris family) and not a member of the grass family (Family Poaceae).  You can find vendors by Googling the botanical name.