Mr. Smarty Plants - Are seeds of Tecoma stans (yellow bells) toxic to birds

Sunday - June 22, 2008

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Are seeds of Tecoma stans (yellow bells) toxic to birds

QUESTION:

We have several Tacoma Stans in our yard and several pets (dogs & a Cockatoo). My Too is very interested in the beans of this plant. Are the beans poisonous to birds? Dogs?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants didn't find Tecoma stans (yellow trumpetbush) listed in any of our favorite poisonous plants databases (e.g., Poisonous Plants of North Carolina, Cornell University Poisonous Plants Informational Database, Texas Toxic Plants, Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System). Also, checking websites devoted to birds didn't show this species as being toxic (e.g., Pet Education.com, Planned Parrothood.com, Hot Spot for Birds). You can find many more websites with information about plants poisonous to birds by Googling 'bird poisonous plants'. Although Tecoma stans is not listed on any of the lists I found, that isn't a guarantee that the plant or its seeds are harmless to your pets. To be absolutely safe you should check with your veterinarian and keep the plant parts away from your pet until you have checked.

Tecoma stans

Tecoma stans