En EspaÑol

Saturday - June 21, 2008

From: Placentia, CA
Title: Source of seeds for Schisandra glabra (bay starvine)

QUESTION:

Hi, I am looking for an herbal plant, Schisandra. It bears red berries. Please let me know where I can find/ buy this plant. Thanks.

ANSWER:

Schisandra glabra (syn. S. coccinea) bay starvine is listed as threatened or endangered in Florida, Georgia, North Carolina and Tennessee. It is also considered rare in Louisiana and Kentucky. Here are some photos. Because of its status, I can't imagine that the plant or its seeds are readily available. You can search in our National Suppliers Directory for nurseries and seed companies that specialize in native plants in the southeast that could possibly have this plant or its seeds. You could also contact the North American Native Plant Society associations in the states where it occurs to see if they have a source for seeds or plants.