En EspaÑol

Sunday - June 22, 2008

From: Aptos, CA
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Shrub for privacy screen

Hi, We live in Aptos near the ocean. However, what you suggest to plant near our fence to screen out the one story house behind us. They have a large tree near in their backyard that sits against our fence but it dosen't screen out looking into each others houses. Do you have a suggestion on what I should plant to hide the fence but would also act as a privacy bush which would be about 1 foot highter than the fence so we can both have some privacy? I would like something evergreen and flowering if possible. Thank you.

Mr. Smarty Plants isn't sure how tall your plant needs to be since you didn't say how tall your fence is but, hopefully, at least some of these following evergreen plants native to Santa Cruz County, California will meet the requirement:

Vaccinium ovatum (California huckleberry) and Vaccinium parvifolium (red huckleberry) and photos and more information about huckleberries

Umbellularia californica (California laurel)

Prunus ilicifolia (hollyleaf cherry) and photos and more information

Malacothamnus fasciculatus (Mendocino bushmallow) and photos and more information and more photos

Mahonia aquifolium (hollyleaved barberry)

Heteromeles arbutifolia (toyon)

Garrya elliptica (wavyleaf silktassel) and photos and more information and more photos

Dendromecon rigida (tree poppy)

Ceanothus cuneatus (buckbrush) and photos and more information

Adenostoma fasciculatum (chamise) and photos and more information

You can find nurseries that specialize in native plants in your area by searching in our National Supplier Directory

Umbellularia californica

Mahonia aquifolium

Heteromeles arbutifolia

Dendromecon rigida