Monday - June 16, 2008

From: Frisco, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Screening plant for pool

QUESTION:

i am building a pool i have a neighbor whom im trying to shield out of seeing us. i would like to plant an evergreen tree the pool will be used year round. i need an evergreen that wont have an over taking root system.i have about 3 feet to work with. can you help?

ANSWER:

Here are several native shrubs/small trees that are evergreen:

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) There are dwarf varieties of these, so be sure you are getting a full size one.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush)

The following can be a large tree, but can be kept pruned into a shrub-sized evergreen: Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar)

This next one is not really a shrub or tree, but is evergreen and grows to 10 feet and could be a very effective screen in your small area: Sabal minor (dwarf palmetto)

Finally, if you have a fence around your pool, you might consider planting Lonicera sempervirens (trumpet honeysuckle) along it. It is evergreen, has beautiful red blossoms that attract hummingbirds and would soon cover your fence and be an excellent screen.