Saturday - June 14, 2008

From: Pflugerville, TX
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Privacy screen and windbreak plants

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, I am searching for ideal plants to provide a privacy screen and windbreak for the north side of my yard. I live in Pflugerville..the soil seems mostly caliche but hits limestone a foot or so down. The area receives full sun and is very dry. However, we plan to install a french drain to dispose of our gray water along the plant line. My husband is allergic to cedar. The high winter winds and poor soil seem to be the biggest obstacles. Suggestions? Thank you! -Native Newbie

Here are a few plants that should work well. All are evergreen shrubs that tolerate dry conditions, like full sun and are commercially available.

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac)

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel)

Mahonia trifoliolata (agarita)

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush)

Rhus virens

Sophora secundiflora

Mahonia trifoliolata

Leucophyllum frutescens