Mr. Smarty Plants - Can Gaura coccinea be transplanted

Saturday - June 14, 2008

From: Placitas, NM
Topic: Propagation, Transplants
Title: Can Gaura coccinea be transplanted
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

Hello, I had Gaura coccinea growing on my property when I lived in Albuquerque. I have been looking for it for years to plant in my xeric aroma garden. Taking a walk yesterday I found some in a ditch along the road!!! How easy is it to transplant and what care should I take with it? I plan to water the plant to make it easier to remove. How long is the tap root? I have PLENTY of places to plant it that are really dry and tough to grow in as well as amended soil that gets little to a lot of moisture. I live in Placitas, New Mexico at about 5400 feet. Thanks in advance

ANSWER:

Gaura coccinea (scarlet beeblossom) can be transplanted but Mr. Smarty Plants recommends that you don't dig it up immediately. Instead, we recommend that you go out and "pre-dig" the plant in the early fall. That is, go around the plant with a shovel 6" or so away from the crown to prune the roots, but don't lift it then. You'll also want to flag the plant while it's still flowering so you can find it later. In late fall or early winter, dig the plant and move it to your garden. It should do just fine.

Gaura coccinea

Gaura coccinea

Gaura coccinea

Gaura coccinea