Monday - June 09, 2008

From: Temple, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Pests, Trees
Title: Secretions of fluid from crepe myrtles

On my crepe myrtle tree I have dozens of 1/2-inch-long narrow bugs that seem to secrete tiny drops of fluid. They appear on the branches of the tree. Are these harmful to the tree? Do I need to do anything about this? I live in Temple, TX

It is most likely the offending insects are aphids, as described in this article from the University of California Integrated Pest Management. They vary somewhat is size and appearance, but they all suck liquids out of the plant and secrete it again, usually causing a fungus called sooty mold to appear. They attack many different plants but they really love crape myrtles. Since this problem comes up about this time every year, see this previous answer with the information you are looking for.