Mr. Smarty Plants - Where plants can be purchased in Jennings, FL

Saturday - June 07, 2008

From: Jennings, FL
Title: Where plants can be purchased in Jennings, FL

QUESTION:

I would like to know where I can buy some plants to plant on my property to grow?

ANSWER:

Sounds like you may be a beginning gardener, and are looking for a way to get started. First, we want you to know that the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use, planting and protection of plants native to North America. To help you understand why this is so important to us, why don't you begin by reading our How-To Article A Guide To Native Plant Gardening. Don't try to do everything at once, spend the hot summer days making a plan, beginning with a small space, seeing how much sunshine it gets every day, how moist the soil is and so forth.

Next, you can start looking at what native plants are commercially available that will grow in Florida. Go to our Recommended Species section, click on the state of Florida, and that will give you the names and links to webpages for 65 plants native to Florida and recommended for use there. If you want to look at just one specific type of plant, click on Narrow Your Search, enter the name of the state, the habit of the plant (herb, shrub, etc.), the duration (perennial, annual), the amount of light your area gets in a day, and the soil moisture where you want to plant. When you are ready to start shopping, go to our native plant Suppliers, enter your town and state in the Enter Search Location box, and you will get a list of nurseries, seed companies and landscape consultants in your general area. They will have a website or phone number so you can check their hours and the availability of plants you are interested in.

Finally, go to the website for the Hamilton County Extension Office; it has contact information and addresses. They can help you with local information, advice, soil testing, etc. for your garden. Good luck, and let us know how does your garden grow?