Wednesday - December 08, 2004

From: Decatur, TX
Title: Smarty Plants on wildflower meadow gardening

QUESTION:

My local elementary school in Decatur, Texas (north central) has an open field of wonderful wildflowers in front of it. This year, they were mowed before the flowers went to seed. What is a good rule of thumb for when to mow or wait to mow wildflowers. I'd like to provide the school with information to make it a learning opportunity for the kids as well.

ANSWER:

After the wildflowers have bloomed, do not mow until at least 1/2 of the late bloomers have dropped their seeds. You can find this advice and much more about wildflower meadow gardening by visiting the Native Plant Library on the Wildflower Center web page.