Sunday - June 01, 2008

From: Cupar, Scotland
Region: Other
Title: Mystery plant in Scotland

Hi I have a plant which has self seeded - I think from a packet of mixed salad leaves planted last year. The leaves are green turning to purple, about eight inches long and a bit like a savoy cabbage but open and separate and more spear shaped. A brief 'taste and spit out' suggests that it is possibly a type of cabbage. I'm sure it's edible as it doesn't resemble any local weeds. How do I identify it? I could e-mail a photo but you don't appear to have that option. By the way, I live in Scotland. Any ideas? Hope you can help.

It would be a little risky for us to speculate on your plant without a picture. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center concentrates its expertise and research on plants native to North America. However, we have people on the Mr. Smarty Plants team that delight in identifying plants, regardless of their native status. Go to the Mr. Smarty Plants page on this website, and in the lower right hand corner, under "Plant Identification" you will find full instructions for e-mailing a picture to us. We look forward to seeing it.