Sunday - June 08, 2008

From: Conroe, TX
Region: Other
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Growing bluebonnets in England

I'm sending some bluebonnet seeds to Norwich England to a dear friend. What time of year should she plant them?

You aren't the first person who has wanted to grow bluebonnets in England so, first of all, I would like to refer you to the answer to a previous question on the subject. In short, the answer tells you that we don't really recommend introducing a non-native plant into another environment where it might become invasive (see our "When Is a Guest a Pest?"), but we acknowledge that probably bluebonnets aren't going to take off and become invasive in England since their home climate in Texas is so different from that of England's. This is also a clue that they probably aren't going to grow very well or at all in England. But, in case your friend wants to try, I refer you to our "How to Articles" page where you can find three articles concerning bluebonnets: "How to Grow Bluebonnets", "Rhizobium FAQs", and "Scarification FAQs" that give you particulars about when and how to sow the seeds. Please counsel your friend to be vigilant to see that they don't spread out of her control if she is successful in getting them to grow.