Sunday - May 25, 2008

Title: Propagation of Arisaema dracontium

QUESTION:

We are fortunate enough to own an 8-acre drainage next to Bull Creek preserve, and it has several stands of Green Dragon (Arisaema Dracontium) growing in it. How can we propagate this plant and share it with our friends that have similar native habitats in the area?

ANSWER:

The webpage on Arisaema dracontium (green dragon) has propagation instructions, down toward the bottom of the page. This plant is considered rare in Texas, but we could not find it on any endangered or threatened plant species lists. Please note the warning on that page that all parts of this plant are toxic. Not only should you wear gloves when you are retrieving the seeds, but you should make sure children are warned and watched, as the bright red seeds/berries are very appetizing looking. And pass this warning on, also, to anyone with whom you share the plant.

In the propagation instructions, you are told you may do so by either seeds or tuber division. The instructions are pretty clear on the seeds, but here are some instructions from the University of Florida Extension on Propagation by division.