Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of orange flowering tree in West Virginia

From: Summersville, WV
Title: Identification of orange flowering tree in West Virginia

QUESTION:

I was wondering if you might have any suggestions as to what small tree-like plant I saw over the last two weeks (mid May) in West Virginia, in the woods, in the mountains. With honeysuckle-like leaves. The flowers were orange and rhododendron-like. The tree grew about 6 to 8 feet tall. Thanks so much for any ideas you might have.

ANSWER:

Well, there is Lonicera dioica (limber honeysuckle) which should bloom in May and June. There is also Rhododendron calendulaceum (flame azalea) that should be in bloom now and Diervilla lonicera (northern bush honeysuckle) which is listed as blooming in June. If it doesn't happen to be one of these and you have a photo of it, you could send it to us for identification. Please see the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page in the lower right corner under "Plant Identification" for instructions for submitting photos.

Lonicera dioica

Rhododendron calendulaceum

Rhododendron calendulaceum

Diervilla lonicera