En EspaÑol

Tuesday - July 29, 2003

Topic: Transplants, Wildflowers
Title: Smarty Plants on daylilies

QUESTION:

I have a number of Daylilies that are rapidly multiplying in my flower bed. If I relocate some of them to the field behind my house, will they crowd out the native wildflowers?

ANSWER:

We would not recommend transplanting your daylilies to a wildflower meadow. Chances are they will simply die there unless the area receives supplemental irrigation. Most soil in our area is a little too dry for daylilies to naturalize. They will spread on their own in some of the more moist soil in our area, however, and could crowd out native species in those areas. We do not recommend introducing non-native plants into areas of strictly native species.