Tuesday - May 20, 2008

From: Vicksburg, MS
Title: Mystery plant in Vicksburg, MS

QUESTION:

I have a strange plant that has come up by a ditch next to my house. I've lived here 23 years and have never seen anything like it. I can only guess that it came up from a packet of wildflower seeds that I threw in that area last year that didn't do anything then or now except for this strange plant. I would like to send you 2 pictures of this thing to possibly identify it. I tried searching the web but can't seem to find a place that will let me send the pics. It's a huge thing and still growing. I don't know if I should mow it down or not but I'm opting not to in case it blooms. Can I send the pics via a reply to your email to me? Thank you for your consideration, Kalar Walters

ANSWER:

We certainly would like to see a picture of that to see if we can identify it. Go to the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page, and in the lower right-hand corner, under "Plant Identification", are instructions for e-mailing pictures to us. We're looking forward to seeing it.