Mr. Smarty Plants - Evergreen shrub/tree for British Columbia.

From: Delta , BC
Region: Canada
Title: Evergreen shrub/tree for British Columbia.

QUESTION:

What kind of hedge or trees might work to provide privacy in our lower mainland British Columbia yard/garden? We need something evergreen that is perhaps,fast growing. Our yard is not deep and our kitchen window is only about 7 metres from a shared wooden fence. Any advice would be appreciated!

ANSWER:

You are very lucky living in British Columbia where you have several evergreen shrubs and trees from which to choose. Actually, you are very lucky living in British Columbia because it is really beautiful there!

Here are a few suggestions for you.

SHRUBS

Ceanothus velutinus (snowbrush ceanothus) and more information from Washington Native Plant Society.

Gaultheria shallon (salal) and more information from King County, Washington.

Ledum glandulosum (western Labrador tea) and information from Montana Plant-Life.org.

Mahonia aquifolium (hollyleaved barberry) and more information and photos from Virginia Tech University.

Morella californica (California wax myrtle) and more information and photos from Virginia Tech University.

Rhododendron macrophyllum (Pacific rhododendron) and information from Washington Native Plant Society.

SMALL TREES

Taxus brevifolia (Pacific yew) and more information from the British Columbia Ministry of Forests and Range

Thuja plicata (western red cedar) and more information from University of Connecticut.

Ceanothus velutinus

Gaultheria shallon

Ledum glandulosum

Mahonia aquifolium

Rhododendron macrophyllum