From: Dothan, AL
Title: Evergreen shrub with flowers Alabama

QUESTION:

I am looking for an evergreen plant, shrub or the likeness that flowers in the spring that can handle hot afternoon sun in Southeast AL. Can you give me some suggestions, if there is such an animal.

ANSWER:

There are quite a few evergreen shrubs/small trees that are native to Alabama. Most of them are listed as growing in part shade, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they wouldn't tolerate full sun. One that does qualify for full sun, Morella cerifera (wax myrtle), doesn't have showy flowers but it does produce berries that wildlife find palatable. Lycium carolinianum (Carolina desert-thorn or Christmasberry) also will grow in full sun. Its flowers aren't particularly showy either, but it does have red berries that give it the common name of Christmasberry. Here are more photos and information. Another shrub that will grow well in full sun is Gordonia lasianthus (loblolly bay). It does have showy, fragrant flowers, but requires plenty of water.

The following evergreens have showy flowers, but are listed as growing best in part shade.

Illicium floridanum (Florida anisetree)

Kalmia latifolia (mountain laurel)

Rhododendron catawbiense (Catawba rosebay)

Rhododendron maximum (great laurel)

Leucothoe axillaris (coastal doghobble)

Leucothoe fontanesiana (highland doghobble)

The next evergreens grow in part shade, but can do very well in full sun. They don't have showy flowers but do have persistent red or black berries.

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Ilex myrtifolia (myrtle dahoon)

Ilex glabra (inkberry)

Osmanthus americanus (devilwood)

Lycium carolinianum

Gordonia lasianthus

Illicium floridanum

Kalmia latifolia

Rhododendron catawbiense

Rhododendron maximum

Leucothoe axillaris

Leucothoe fontanesiana

Ilex myrtifolia

Ilex glabra

Osmanthus americanus