Friday - November 19, 2004

Title: Smarty Plants on garden weddings

QUESTION:

What native perennial plants should reliably be in bloom March 5? I am an avid gardener and having a garden wedding next year (March 5, 2005). For table center pieces, I am hoping to buy flats of blooming native perennials for guests to take home after the reception as ongoing memories. Small pots of native picturesque evergreens are options as well. I intend to mix a variety of plants on each table. Before I finalize any wedding colors, I wondered what flowers might be options.

ANSWER:

Here are a few flowers that begin blooming as early as February: winecups (Callirhoe involucrata), red columbine (Aquilegia canadensis), golden thread (Thelesperma filifolium), scarlet sage (Salvia coccinea), rose vervain (Glandularia canadensis), wind-flower (Anemone berlandieri).

You can find more early blooming wildflowers by going to the Wildflower Center web page and selecting "Explore Plants" from the side bar. Next, select "Native Plants Database". On this page you will have the option of doing an "Advanced Search" where you can search using different criteria such as bloom time, bloom color, growth form, distribution and more.