Mr. Smarty Plants - Reproduction of purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

Tuesday - May 06, 2008

From: Sherrard, IL
Title: Reproduction of purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

QUESTION:

What is the reproduction of a Purple Coneflower?

ANSWER:

Echinacea purpurea (eastern purple coneflower) is a perennial that will grow from seeds or can be propagated by root divisions in early spring. Insects are responsible for pollinating the flowers to form the seeds. Here is more information about propagation of E. purpurea from the University of Oklahoma Department of Botany & Microbiology and from Hedgerow Herbs.

Echinacea purpurea

Echinacea purpurea

Echinacea purpurea