Mr. Smarty Plants - Native grasses to accompany buffalograss in shade

Thursday - May 01, 2008

From: Georgetown, TX
Title: Native grasses to accompany buffalograss in shade

QUESTION:

What grass goes with buffalo for shade/partial shade?

ANSWER:

To answer your question, we went first to our Recommended Species section, selected Central Texas, and then further refined our selections by asking for grass or grass-like plants, perennial in duration, and 2 to 6 hours of sun a day. This gave us a list of 10 possibilities, from which we chose 4 that we thought would give you the most interesting contrast with Bouteloua dactyloides (buffalograss) in terms of texture, height, etc.

Andropogon gerardii (big bluestem)

Bouteloua curtipendula (sideoats grama)

Schizachyrium scoparium (little bluestem)

Sorghastrum nutans (Indiangrass)

Andropogon gerardii

Bouteloua curtipendula

Sorghastrum nutans