Mr. Smarty Plants - Smarty Plants on seed sources

Tuesday - February 03, 2004

From: Dixon, IL
Region: Canada
Title: Smarty Plants on seed sources

QUESTION:

I'm trying to find a source to buy seed or plants of rose gentian (Sabatia angularis). Do you know a source for seed or plants?

ANSWER:

There are a couple of possible approaches to finding your rose gentian seeds. On the Wildflower Center webpage you can choose "Explore Plants" from the sidebar menu and select "Suppliers Directory". This will lead you to a page that you can search for "Nurseries" or "Seed Companies" by region or state that specialize in native plants. There are listings giving locations, telephone numbers and, for some, e-mail and web addresses.

I did locate a related species, Plymouth rose gentian (Sabatia kennedyana), that is listed as available from Mellow Marsh Farm in Siler City, North Carolina. The other possibility for finding your plant is to contact your local "Native Plant Society". There is a list of the various associations in the US and Canada on the our web page listed in the "National Organizations Directory".