Monday - April 14, 2008

From: Graham, NC
Title: Identification of vine with red flower

I have a "vine" that flowers. When it "blooms", it begins with a reddish/yellowish/orange ball about the side of a dime. The ball bursts open and a small red bloom emerges. It looks like a carnation about the size of a nickel. I have asked several people but no one seems to know what it is. It has begun to spring leaves. The balls will follow in about a month. How can I find out what it is? and how to root a piece for another part of the yard?

Mr. Smarty Plants loves to identify plants, but identifying plants by means of description alone is very difficult, if not impossible. If you would take photos (following the directions on our Ask Mr. Smarty Plants page in the lower right corner) and send them to us, we will do our very best to identify your vine.