Wednesday - April 16, 2008

From: Houston, TX
Title: Perennial phlox for partial shade

QUESTION:

I am planting a butterfly garden in a plot that gets sun in the morning and shade in the afternoon. I read that phlox does well in partial-shade areas, and was wondering which native, perennial phlox would be best.

ANSWER:

There are approximately 50 plants of the genus Phlox in our Native Plant Database. Unfortunately, only seven of those are naturally distributed in Texas, and three of those are annuals. However, all are considered attractive to butterflies, and all are considered moist woodland plants, so they should do very well in Houston. We are going to list the annuals, as well, even though you asked for perennials. The annuals will reseed themselves if they're happy in their location, and will give you more variety in your selections.

ANNUALS

Phlox drummondii (annual phlox)

Phlox drummondii ssp. drummondii (annual phlox)

Phlox glabriflora (Rio Grande phlox)

PERENNIALS

Phlox divaricata (wild blue phlox)

Phlox divaricata ssp. laphamii (Lapham's phlox) - Images of this plant

Phlox nivalis (trailing phlox)

Phlox pilosa (downy phlox)

When you are ready to begin your phlox garden, here is a list of Native Plant Suppliers for the Houston area.

Phlox drummondii

Phlox drummondii ssp. drummondii

Phlox glabriflora

Phlox divaricata

Phlox nivalis

Phlox pilosa