Thursday - April 10, 2008

Topic: Septic Systems
Title: Native plants for septic field

QUESTION:

We have a new Septic tank and field and I want to plant native seeds on the field instead of grass. Are there particular packages of seed that I can purchase or what else would you recommend?

ANSWER:

If only it were that easy-buy a couple packages of seeds, sprinkle them around, and up pops a wildflower meadow. Unfortunately, that's not the way it works. Read our How-To Article "Meadow Gardening". It really explains the process far better than we could. Then, go to this list of Suppliers for the Austin area, find one convenient to you, and they will be able to help you with the plants you need, seeds, etc. In fact, since you live in Austin, you could come to the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center Spring Plant Sale this weekend, April 12 and 13, shop for plants, talk to gardeners who can help you, and even visit the Native Plant Society of Texas tent for seeds and more plants.