Wednesday - April 09, 2008

From: Ft Lauderdale, FL
Topic: Meadow Gardens
Title: Seeding rates for Florida.
Answered by: Damon Waitt

What formula do you recommend for seeding Florida Native Wildflower meadows? I recently read in a text on Western U.S. Wildflower Meadow seeding that: a) ratio would differ if sowing a monoculture versus a mix seed culture [4 instead of 1] and b) the number of grams of seed needed could be calculated per square foot to be seeded. We are seeding some test plots this spring. Based on our results and your suggestions we plan to seed at least 2 meadows in fall. Who would I contact about visiting someone with experience in this? I plan on being in Austin 5/16-17/2008. Thank you for your help. Dr. G. Chung, Broward Community College, Ft Lauderdale Fl 33314.

According to the University of Florida Extension Service, "Information about seeding rates for Florida-adapted native wildflower seed is extremely limited". That said, their publication entitled Establishment of Native Wildflower Plantings by Seed takes a comprehensive look at the many variables one must consider when considering large size native wildflower plantings, such as those on roadsides, meadows, commercial properties, and right-of-ways in Florida and includes bulk seeding rates for Florida-adapted native wildflowers. We hope you will come and visit us while you are in Austin, but the Green Guru reccommends you contact the author of the aforementioned article to get the regionally-specific information you need for Florida.