Thursday - April 03, 2008

From: Edgewood, PA
Topic: Herbs/Forbs
Title: Arisaema triphyllum and Phlox stolonifera native to Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

I asked and you answered my question about PA wildflowers. I have two more questions: is jack-in-the-pulpit a native PA wildflower? and is creeping white phlox a native PA wildflower?

ANSWER:

We found five sub-species of jack-in-the-pulpit in our Native Plant Database, of which four are native to Pennsylvania. We had quite a few pictures of Arisaema triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit) in our Image Gallery, so we have given you two of those below. The other Pennsylvania natives are Arisaema triphyllum ssp. pusillum (Jack in the pulpit), Arisaema triphyllum ssp. stewardsonii (Jack in the pulpit), and Arisaema triphyllum ssp. triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit).

We found one plant referred to as "creeping phlox" that is native to Pennsylvania Phlox stolonifera (creeping phlox), which can have flowers that are lavender, blue or white.

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum ssp. triphyllum

Phlox stolonifera