Wednesday - April 02, 2008

From: Round Rock, TX
Title: Non-native, invasive Rapistrum rugosum

What is the name of the alien, spindly, yellow mustard that we see blooming around Austin now ? Is it Hedge Mustard (Sisymbrium officinale) ?

We believe the one you are referring to, which is indeed in bloom all over Austin right now, is Rapistrum rugosum, Bastard-Cabbage. It is native to Central Europe, northern Africa and western Asia. The website we have linked you to is the Plant Conservation Alliance Least Wanted List. You can compare it with this picture and descriptive article about Sisymbrium officinale, Hedge mustard.