Mr. Smarty Plants - Deer resistance of non-native Loropetalum

Tuesday - April 01, 2008

From: Lago Vista, TX
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Deer resistance of non-native Loropetalum

QUESTION:

I love Loropetalum (Plum Delight). Is it Deer Resistant?

ANSWER:

A native of China, Japan and the Himalayas, Loropetalum is out of our normal field of expertise. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the care, protection and propagation of plants native to North America. However, we did find this Gardener's Confidence Collection webpage on Loropetalum which indicates deer don't seem too interested in the plant. You do understand that deer will browse anything that can't run away if their natural food sources are unavailable.