Mr. Smarty Plants - Native trees for privacy screen in New Jersey

Tuesday - April 01, 2008

From: Whitehouse Stationq, NJ
Topic: Privacy Screening
Title: Native trees for privacy screen in New Jersey

QUESTION:

Looking for a tree (preferably an evergreen) for a privacy hedge in Whitehouse Station, NJ. Would like a very fast growing tree that is deer resistant. Also the privacy hedge will be planted along a septic field so I think it needs to be an upland tree.

ANSWER:

We don't know what an "upland" tree would be, but selected trees native to North America recommended for New Jersey that are evergreen and can tolerate a moist soil. Some are obviously more desirable than others, and some are attractive to deer, so we'll tell you what we found out and let you make your own decision. You can probably get some better information closer to home by contacting the Rutgers New Jersey Agricultural Experiment Station. When you go to that website, you can click on Hunterdon County and get contact information, phone numbers, etc. They may have literature on the type trees that would do better for your purposes, and can advise you on soil and culture.

Pinus resinosa (red pine) - If preferred food is lacking, white-tailed deer, snowshoe hares and cottontails will browse seedlings. Moose show moderate preference for Red Pine browse when other browse is dormant. Do you have moose in New Jersey? Images of Pinus resinosa.

Pinus strobus (eastern white pine) - Number of mammals, including deer, browse seedlings and twigs, eat bark, etc.

Thuja occidentalis (arborvitae) - Deer find the soft evergreen foliage a very attractive winter food and strip it readily. Images of Thuja occidentalis.

Pinus virginiana (Virginia pine) - No mention found of being attractive to deer. Images of Pinus virginiana

Juniperus virginiana (eastern redcedar) - Pollen is a known allergen, and it is not tolerant of ice coatings.

Pinus strobus

Juniperus virginiana