Mr. Smarty Plants - Sedges or grasses for sun/shade in Georgetown, TX

Monday - March 24, 2008

From: Georgetown, TX
Title: Sedges or grasses for sun/shade in Georgetown, TX

QUESTION:

I have an area that is part shaded (under oak trees) and part in the sun. I would like cedar sedge in the shaded areas (some is already growing there)but I can not find where to buy it. Do you know where I can buy the plant or seeds? Also, what type of native, low growing/low maintenance grass do you recommend for the sun areas? We would like the area to be natural. We live west of Georgetown....thanks.

ANSWER:

Because we are often asked similar questions, we like to refer sometimes to previous answers on related subjects, instead of re-inventing the wheel. This previous question, on native grasses for sun and shade, has several excellent suggestions. The writer of that question also mentions several species of Carex that should work in your area. And we want to reinforce the suggestion in the previous question that you go to the Native American Seed website; they have an excellent online shopping service and do mail order, also.

Finally, if you still don't find what you are looking for, here is a list of native plant suppliers in Texas. There are several in the Austin area, most will list either a website or a phone number you can call to see what is in stock.