Mr. Smarty Plants - Scientific name for non-native staghorn fern

Friday - March 21, 2008

From: Miami, FL
Topic: Ferns
Title: Scientific name for non-native staghorn fern

QUESTION:

What is the scientific name for the staghorn fern?

ANSWER:

Platycerium (staghorn fern) is a genus of about 18 species in the Polypodiaceae family. The genus is epiphytic and native to tropical areas of South America, Africa, Southeast Asia, Australia and New Guinea. As such, it is out of the area of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, which is dedicated to the care and propagation of plants native to North America. However, here is a website from University of Florida Extension that can give you the lowdown on staghorn ferns. And here is a page of pictures of the staghorn fern.