En EspaÑol

Sunday - March 23, 2008

Title: Native shrub for north window in Austin, TX

QUESTION:

Hello. I am trying to find a native shrub to provide privacy next to a low north-facing window and protection from northerly winds in the winter. I would like to find a shrub with a maximum height of 6 ft., evergreen or nearly evergreen, and native to either the Blackland Prairie or Edwards Plateau, or both. Thanks!

ANSWER:

We found some that are native at least to the Austin area and the Edwards Plateau, but not necessarily native to the Blackland Prairie. There were not many to choose from, as you wanted privacy and shelter, which called for evergreen bushes. The last two are distributed naturally in Texas, and make excellent screening shrubs. Follow the plant links to webpages with growing conditions, etc. They are all chosen because they will tolerate part shade, since they will be planted on the north side of the house.

Leucophyllum frutescens (Texas barometer bush)

Sophora secundiflora (Texas mountain-laurel) - remember, this has toxic seeds

Cordia boissieri (anacahuita)

Larrea tridentata (creosote bush) - this emits toxins which keeps anything from growing under it

Malpighia glabra (wild crapemyrtle)

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle)

Ilex vomitoria (yaupon)

Leucophyllum frutescens

Sophora secundiflora

Cordia boissieri

Larrea tridentata

Malpighia glabra