Friday - March 14, 2008

From: Hattiesburg, MS
Title: Source of Dalea greggii seeds

QUESTION:

I want to purchase Gregg Dalea seeds. Where can I order them?

ANSWER:

Dalea greggii (Gregg's prairie clover) is native to the Southeast Trans-Pecos of Texas to Mexico, and not normally found in Mississippi. It is most commonly propagated by semi-hardwood cuttings, but if that is inconvenient, we will try to find some seed companies you can contact to see if they carry the seeds. You will notice that under "Propagation" in the plant webpage, seeds are gathered from summer to late fall, which could mean that seed suppliers are out of them right now, and will restock when the seeds ripen for this year. You could possibly find a plant nursery selling small pots of this perennial; if you plant them before it gets too hot, and keep them well-drained, not standing in water, you might have enough to start the semi-hardwood cuttings on them this winter, and by the next season, have some seeds to harvest.

Mountain States Wholesale Nursery in Arizona

Village Nurseries, Sacramento, CA

Native American Seed, Junction, TX. This is our favorite native seed company, and is, in fact, an affiliate of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We could not find any Dalea greggii on their webpages, but they have an 800 number, 1-800-728-4043.

We did a search for native seed companies in our Suppliers section, but found none located in Mississippi.