En EspaÑol

Monday - September 20, 2004

From: Dallas, TX
Topic: Container Gardens
Title: Planting a container of wildflower seeds in Dallas
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

I have purchased a 1 # container of wild flower seeds in North Dallas. When can I throw these seeds in a nearby field, & is it advantageous to do it during a rain?

ANSWER:

I do not know what the contents of your packet may be, however, now is the best time to start your seed mixes. It is close enough to October, and the weather will now start to become more stable (i.e. more temperate) as you move in to Fall. The main difficulty will be providing adequate moisture to initiate germination for these seeds, as well as ensuring good soil to seed contact. If you do not receive adequate seasonal rain events, you may have to provide supplemental watering to initiate germination. We do provide info on gardening with native plants and establishing seed; browse on-line to our Native Plant Library, which provides timely articles on the topics you are inquiring about.