Mr. Smarty Plants - Native perennial winter plants for Waco, TX

Wednesday - November 03, 2004

From: Waco, TX
Topic: Cacti and Succulents, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Native perennial winter plants for Waco, TX

QUESTION:

I live in the Waco area, and would like to know winter plants that I could use that would come back each year, flowering or otherwise.

ANSWER:

Not many plants native to your area will continue blooming throughout the winter. However, some will bloom well into fall until there is a frost. Many are evergreen and retain at least some foliage throughout the year. Among these are several yuccas that should do well around the Waco area. The pale-leaf yucca (Yucca pallida), the twist leaf yucca (Yucca rupicola) and the red yucca (Hesperaloe parviflora) should all do well. If you are looking for shrubs that will stay green in the winter, a good choice is the southern wax myrtle (Morella cerifera). For fall blooms and evergreen foliage autumn sage (Salvia greggii) and prairie verbena (Glandularia bipinnatifida) should do well. Another plant whose yellow flowers should last till first frost and retain its green foliage is zexmenia (Wedelia texana).
You might contact the Brazos Valley Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas for other suggestions for winter/evergreen plants that do well in your area.