Thursday - March 06, 2008

From: Davie, FL
Title: Seeding south Florida native wildflower meadow

QUESTION:

Information about seeding a south Florida native wildflower meadow. Have only found information north Florida.

ANSWER:

Since you apparently live in Broward County, Florida, let us refer you to a remarkable map provided by the Florida Native Plant Society. We went to that site and (after figuring out which one was Broward County) clicked on the county, and got this great list of native plants that are native to that area.

Next, for some background on how to carry out your plans, read this "How To Article" on Wildflower Meadow Gardening from the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

And, finally, we have a list of Recommended Species for Florida. If you want more information on some of the plants in the plant list from the Florida Native Plant Society, you might check with the webpages on the individual plants from our list. We went there and picked out a few plants that you might be interested in for your garden, all native to Florida. Actually. what we were doing was showing off our Image Gallery. You can use this link, put in the name of a plant you are interested in, and, if we have it in our more than 20,000 images, you will get to see pictures of the plant.

The plants we picked out are:

Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry)

Clematis crispa (swamp leather flower)

Kosteletzkya virginica (Virginia saltmarsh mallow)

Monarda punctata (spotted beebalm)